Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Strength Doesn't Reside in Never Having Been Broken

Some days I wake up and my body is working against my mind. As a nurse, I understand the importance of medicine, surgery, treatments, diagnostic testing, etc BUT as a person that has put her body through countless different unknown trials...I appreciate going back to the basics. What you put into your body matters, and it affects the way that you feel. Lately I have been putting off surgery for my Endometriosis, because I just hit 1 year post op this March. Last year, I was out of work for 6 weeks, and I just got feeling back in my abdomen from the nerve damage. So obviously I am not jumping back on the surgery bandwagon just yet. So research it is...and diet changes it is. This morning, as I go for my usual run I am struck with an intense pain in my abdomen that makes me want to vomit and cry at the same time. Great way to wake up, huh? Such is the life of an Endo girl. I often visit a website that talks a lot about diet changes for Endo. So this morning I went to the site to revisit what I should and should not be eating. Just to make sure I am doing all that I can.

AVOID: wheat, red meat, refined and concentrated carbohydrates, refined sugars and honey, caffeine, chocolate, dairy, eggs, fried foods, saturated fats and oils, soy and soy products, additives and preservatives, and alcohol.


So what can I eat? GRASS? Insert defeated face. OR take a deep breath and realize it will be OK.

I found this book on one of the Endo support sites. I love that Amazon let's you Look Inside. It looks like the recipes contain most of the ingredients I already use. Lots and lots of fresh vegetables. Lots of fish. Nuts. Oils. Almond milk instead of dairy. Fruits. Thank goodness I live in Miami, where I have access to fresh produce year round!


Here is a great quick salad recipe! And it is ENDO friendly which translates to being a great Anti-inflammatory Recipe!

As Frances puts it...now let's feed our bellies...

Spinach Salad

Ingredients:
-1 bag of spinach
-craisins
-thinly sliced strawberries
-almonds

-mandarin oranges
-blueberries
-poppy seed dressing


Directions:
1. Pour spinach onto a bowl.  Top it with the rest of the ingredients according to preference, mix, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment