Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Soy Balsamic Slow Cooker Chicken

Ingredients

  • 2-3 lbs bone in chicken, I used a combination of drumsticks and breasts I used chicken breasts, I don't like messing with pulling chicken off the bone
  • 1 whole onion, sliced into rings I used diced
  • 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 5 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1-2 tablespoons peppercorn, cracked (or just use 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper if you are in a rush)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar I used about 1/4 cup
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch I did not use
  • 1/3 cup chicken broth
  • chives
  • rice I did not use

Directions

  1. Place chicken and onion in slow cooker.
  2. Pour soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, garlic, and peppercorn into into slow cooker and stir around, coating chicken.
  3. Add brown sugar, cornstarch, and chicken broth and stir again.
  4. Cook on low for 5-6 hours, break and shred chicken up a bit (a potato masher works really well for this).
  5. Serve over rice and garnish with chives.
Original Recipe: http://eezyrecipes.com/soy-balsamic-slow-cooker-chicken/

I made this yesterday morning, and left it on low for about 7 hours. We just ate it alone with a side of veggies. It was really tender and flavorful. I used a little more brown sugar because even low sodium soy sauce is extremely salty in my opinion. Maybe next time I would use 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar and 1/3 cup of soy sauce to cut out all of that sodium.

Overall, a keeper. I'm always happy to have more crock pot recipes - SO easy!

HAPPY MONDAY!



No comments:

Post a Comment